ISO 8124-5:2015 specifies methods of sampling and digestion prior to analysis of the total concentration of the elements antimony, arsenic, barium, cadmium, chromium, lead, mercury, and selenium from toy materials and from parts of toys.
Digestion methods for the elements mentioned above are specified for the following types of toy materials:
- coatings of paints, varnishes, lacquers, printing inks, polymers, and similar coatings;
- polymeric and similar materials, including laminates, whether textile-reinforced or not, but excluding other textiles;
- paper, paperboard, and cardboard;
- natural or synthetic textiles;
- metallic materials whether coated or not;
- other materials, whether mass-coloured or not (e.g. wood, fibreboard, hardboard, bone, and leather);
- materials intended to leave a trace (e.g. the graphite materials in pencils and liquid ink in pens);
- pliable modelling materials, including modelling clays and gels;
- paints to be used as such in the toy, including finger paints, varnishes, lacquers, and similar materials in solid or liquid form;
- packaging materials that form part of the toy or have intended play value.