The technical specification ISO/TS 54001, Quality management systems – Particular requirements for the application of ISO 9001:2015 for electoral organizations at all levels of government creates the framework for a quality management system that helps electoral bodies provide more reliable and transparent electoral services. It is based on ISO 9001 Quality management systems with specific sector requirements. It has been recently updated to reflect updates to ISO 9001 to keep it more in line with market needs.
Katie Altoft, chair of the ISO technical committee responsible for its development said it is an important tool for electoral organizations because it helps to build confidence in elections through enabling transparency, effective planning and management, and efficiency in electoral processes.
“Every electoral body will have its own legal framework based on international and national law, so this is not intended to replace it,” she said.
“However, by outlining international best practice when it comes to the quality management of an election and an electoral organization, it enables them to improve their processes to strengthen citizen confidence, reduce risks and continually improve.”
Maria Mellenkamp, convenor of the committee’s working group that developed the document and a representative of the OAS added: “ISO/TS 54001 is a great tool to help guide electoral management bodies to efficiently plan electoral processes and help to ensure objectivity in the results.”
It covers all aspects of a successful election such as registration of candidates and voters, vote casting and counting, declaration of results and resolution of electoral disputes.
- SDG 16Promote peaceful and inclusive societies for sustainable development, provide access to justice for all and build effective, accountable and inclusive institutions at all levels
- The effects of counterfeit touch all of us. IEC and ISO have dedicated committees working on standards and solutions to help combat counterfeit and provide increased confidence to consumers.
- Quality management systemsParticular requirements for the application of ISO 9001:2015 for electoral organizations at all levels of government
- Quality management systemsRequirements
- Anti-bribery management systemsRequirements with guidance for use