ISO/IEC 15149-1:2014 Preview
Information technology -- Telecommunications and information exchange between systems -- Magnetic field area network (MFAN) -- Part 1: Air interface
ISO/IEC 15149-1:2014 specifies the physical layer and media access control layer protocols of wireless network over a magnetic field in a low frequency band (~300 kHz) for wireless communication in harsh environment (around metal, underwater, underground, etc.).
The physical layer protocol is designed for the following scope:
- low carrier frequency for large magnetic field area and reliable communication in harsh environment;
- simple and robust modulation for a low implementation cost and error performance;
- variable coding and bandwidth for a link adaptation.
The media access control layer protocol is designed for the following scope:
- simple and efficient network topology for low power consumption;
- variable superframe structure for compact and efficient data transmission;
- dynamic address assignment for small packet size and efficient address management.
ISO/IEC 15149-1:2014 supports several kbps data transmission in wireless network within a distance of several metres. It can be applied to various services such as the following areas:
- environmental industry to manage pollution levels in soil and water using wireless underground or underwater sensors;
- construction industry to monitor the integrity of buildings and bridges using wireless, inner-corrosion sensors;
- consumer-electronics industry to detect food spoilage in wet, airtight storage areas and transfer the sensing data from the inside to the outside;
- agricultural industry to manage the moisture level as well as mineral status in soil using wireless, buried sensors;
- transportation industry to manage road conditions and traffic information using wireless, underground sensors.
Buy this standard
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Revisions / Corrigenda