Safety requirements for lifts (elevators) -- Part 1: Global essential safety requirements (GESRs)
This standard has been revised by ISO 8100-20:2018
- specifies GESRs for lifts (elevators), their components and functions, and
- establishes a system and provides methods for minimizing safety risks that may arise in the course of, the operation and use of, or work on, lifts (elevators).
ISO 22559-1:2014 is applicable to lifts that are intended to carry persons or persons and goods that can
a) be located in any permanent and fixed structure or building, except lifts located in means of transport, (e.g. ships);
b) have any
- rated load, size of load carrying unit and speed, and
- travel distance and number of landings;
c) be affected by fire in the load-carrying unit (LCU), earthquake, weather, or flood;
d) be foreseeably misused (e.g. overloaded) but not vandalized.
ISO 22559-1:2014 does not cover
a) all needs of users with disabilities, or
b) risks arising from
- work on lifts under construction, testing, or during alterations and dismantling,
- use of lifts for fire fighting and emergency evacuation,
- vandalism, and
- fire outside the LCU.