IEC 80416-1:2008 Preview
Basic principles for graphical symbols for use on equipment -- Part 1: Creation of graphical symbols for registration
This standard was last reviewed and confirmed in 2015. Therefore this version remains current.
IEC 80416-1:2008 provides basic principles and guidelines for the creation of graphical symbols for registration, and provides the key principles and rules for the preparation of title, description and note(s). This second edition cancels and replaces the first edition published in 2001. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- a) Clause 8 in the previous edition is moved to Clause 4;
- b) Mandatory requirement for the line width in symbol originals is changed to 2 mm or 4 mm (see 6th paragraph of 7.3);
- c) For negation of a graphical symbol, a single diagonal bar is allowed in addition to two diagonal bars at right angles;
- d) A new meaning of negation 'do not' is allowed;
- e) Some freedom is given for use of the basic pattern such as for symbol originals to be within the 75 mm square instead of the octagon;
- f) Annex A (normative) is newly introduced for provisions on title, description and notes;
- g) The nature of notes is changed to be purely informative; and
- h) Clause 10 in the previous edition is moved to Annex C (informative).
It has the status of a horizontal standard in accordance with IEC Guide 108. This International Standard has been prepared in co-operation with ISO/TC145/SC 3. It is published as a double logo standard.
Buy this standard
A standard is reviewed every 5 years
Revisions / Corrigenda
Now under review