In our rapidly changing world, ensuring cities and communities are fit for the future is a key priority for many city leaders. Providing sustainable energy supplies, coping with environmental and climate changes, building and maintaining durable infrastructures and meeting the needs and expectations of citizens is no small task.
ISO/DIS 37101, Sustainable development of communities – Management systems – Requirements with guidance for resilience and smartness, is designed to help. By setting out requirements and guidance to attain sustainability with the support of methods and tools including smartness and resilience, it can help communities improve in a number of areas such as:
- Developing holistic and integrated approaches instead of working in silos (which can hinder sustainability)
- Fostering social and environmental changes
- Improving health and wellbeing
- Encouraging responsible resource use and
- Achieving better governance
Bernard Leservoisier, Secretary of the technical committee that developed the standard and Standardization Program Manager at AFNOR, the ISO member for France, said ISO/DIS 37101 will be a valuable contribution towards sustainability of society as a whole.
“Communities collectively applying this standard will derive many mutual benefits if they follow a longer term and a more consistent and integrated approach,” he said.
“It fosters the establishment of a multi-actor process in communities and will be a source of inspiration and guidance for all sectors, including energy, health and transport.”
ISO/DIS 37101 has now reached the public enquiry stage of the standard development process, whereby the draft is put to vote by ISO members from 9 April to 10 July 2015.
Public enquiry drafts can be obtained from your national ISO member or the ISO Webstore.
- Sustainable cities and communities
- ISO 37101, which sets requirements, guidance and supporting techniques and tools for sustainable development in communities, has now reached Committee...
- ISO is working on an innovative standard for sustainable and resilient communities – ISO 37101. Do you think you have what it takes to help us create it?...
- Sustainable development in communitiesManagement system for sustainable developmentRequirements with guidance for use