For organizations asking how to improve the quality of their products and services and consistently meet their customers’ expectations, ISO has an answer. Addressing various aspects of quality management and containing some of ISO’s best-known standards, there’s the ISO 9000 family.
why ISO 9001?
ISO 9001 sets out the criteria for a quality management system and is the only standard in the family that can be certified to (although this is not a requirement). It can be used by any organization, large or small, regardless of its field of activity. In fact, there are over one million companies and organizations in over 170 countries certified to ISO 9001.
This standard is based on a number of quality management principles including a strong customer focus, the motivation and implication of top management, the process approach and continual improvement. These principles are explained in more detail in ISO’s quality management principles. Using ISO 9001 helps ensure that customers get consistent, good-quality products and services, which in turn brings many business benefits.
Highlights from our store >
- Fundamentals and vocabulary
- The ISO 9000 family is the world's most best-known quality management standard for companies and organizations of any size.
- Quality of an organization – Guidance to achieve sustained success
What you need to know about ISO 9001
Does my organization need Certification to ISO 9001?
Checking that the system works is a vital part of ISO 9001. It is recommended that an organization performs internal audits to check how its quality management system is working. An organization may decide to invite an independent certification body to verify that it is in conformity to the standard, but there is no requirement for this. Alternatively, it might invite its clients to audit the quality system for themselves.
Read more about certification to management system standards.
Where can I find out more about Auditing ISO 9001?
Support on auditing quality management systems can be found on the Website of the ISO 9001 Auditing Practices Group. This is an informal group of quality management system experts, auditors and practitioners from ISO/TC 176 and the International Accreditation Forum.
Sector-specific applications of ISO 9001
ISO has a range of standards for quality management systems that are based on ISO 9001 and adapted to specific sectors and industries. These include:
- ISO 13485:2016 | Medical devices — Quality management systems — Requirements for regulatory purposes
- ISO/TS 54001:2019 | Quality management systems — Particular requirements for the application of ISO 9001:2015 for electoral …
- ISO 18091:2019 | Quality management systems — Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001 in local government
- ISO/TS 22163:2017 | Railway applications — Quality management system — Business management system requirements for rail organizations: …
- ISO 29001:2020 | Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries — Sector-specific quality management systems — Requirements …
- ISO/IEC/IEEE 90003:2018 | Software engineering — Guidelines for the application of ISO 9001:2015 to computer software