A new standard for protecting intellectual property in innovation just published.
“Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery,” said Oscar Wilde, but it is little consolation in business if the competitor runs away with your idea.
Increasingly important on a global scale in today’s knowledge-based economy, intellectual property (IP) is important for any kind of organization as it allows it to “own” and therefore protect its ideas. IP can be leveraged to achieve many business objectives such as attracting and securing investment, increasing competitive advantage and more.
Managing the IP at every step in the innovation process makes good business sense and helps to generate a true incubator in which creativity can grow.
ISO 56005, Innovation management – Tools and methods for intellectual property management – Guidance, provides guidelines and strategies to help organizations protect and maximize their best ideas.
The standard features an IP management framework, risk management tools and methods for IP exploitation and more.
It is the latest standard published in the ISO 56000 series on innovation management, which includes:
- ISO 56000, Innovation management – Fundamentals and vocabulary
- ISO 56002, Innovation management – Innovation management system – Guidance
- ISO 56003, Innovation management – Tools and methods for innovation partnership – Guidance
- ISO/TR 56004, Innovation management assessment – Guidance
Other standards in the series still in development include:
- ISO 56006, Innovation management – Tools and methods for strategic intelligence management – Guidance
- ISO 56007, Innovation management – Tools and methods for idea management – Guidance
- ISO 56008, Innovation management – Tools and methods for innovation operation measurements – Guidance
The ISO 56000 family was developed by technical committee ISO/TC 279, Innovation management, whose secretariat is held by AFNOR, ISO’s member for France. All published documents in the series can be purchased from your national ISO member or through the ISO Store.