The purpose of the new ISO 28219:2009, Packaging – Labelling and direct product marking with linear bar code and two-dimensional symbols is to define the machine-readable (linear, two dimensional, and composite symbols) and human readable content, as well as the physical characteristics of the symbols for direct marking and labeling of items, parts, and components. The International Standard:
- Defines minimum requirements for identifying items
- Provides guidelines for item marking with machine-readable symbols
- Covers both label and direct marking of items
- Includes testing procedures for label adhesive characteristics and mark durability
- Provides guidance for the formatting on the label of data presented in linear bar code, two-dimensional symbol or human readable form.
Mr. Hirokuni Ono, Chair of ISO technical committee ISO/TC 122, Packaging, comments: "A number of different product labelling and marking standards exist, each designed to meet the requirements of a specific industry sector. For effective and economic use within and between industry sectors, one common multi-industry standard such as ISO 28219:2009 is a necessity. A standard linear bar code or two-dimensional symbol marked on a product or part will facilitate the automation of inventory control, quality control, and product life cycle management. "
Useful in various areas such as production, inventory, distribution, field services, point of sales, repair and in multiple industries: automotive, aerospace, chemical, consumer items, electronics, health care, marine, rail, telecommunications, the linear bar code or two-dimensional symbol information on the product may be used as a key to access the appropriate database that contains detailed information about the product, including information transmitted via EDI (Electronic Data Interchange). In addition, the marking may contain other information as agreed between trading partners.
ISO 28219:2009, Packaging – Labelling and direct product marking with linear bar code and two-dimensional symbols, was developed by ISO technical committee ISO/TC 122, Packaging. It is available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details). It may also be obtained directly from the ISO Central Secretariat, price 150 Swiss francs, through the ISO Store or by contacting the Marketing & Communication department (see right-hand column).
- ISO 28219:2009 [Withdrawn]PackagingLabelling and direct product marking with linear bar code and two-dimensional symbols
- Information technologyISO 7-bit coded character set for information interchange
- ISO/IEC 15416:2000 [Withdrawn]Information technologyAutomatic identification and data capture techniquesBar code print quality test specificationLinear symbols
- ISO/IEC 15459-2:1999 [Withdrawn]Information technologyUnique identification of transport unitsPart 2: Registration procedures
- ISO/IEC 18004:2006 [Withdrawn]Information technologyAutomatic identification and data capture techniquesQR Code 2005 bar code symbology specification
- ISO/IEC 19762-1:2005 [Withdrawn]Information technologyAutomatic identification and data capture (AIDC) techniquesHarmonized vocabularyPart 1: General terms relating to AIDC
- ISO 21067:2007 [Withdrawn]PackagingVocabulary