In the context of growing adoption of radio frequency identification (RFID), particularly in open supply chain applications and the concurrent development of innovative products and services, the International Standard ISO/IEC 18000-1 has been revised.
All parts of ISO/IEC 18000 provide the specific values for definition of the air interface parameters for a particular frequency/type of air interface from which compliance (or non-compliance) with Part 1 of ISO/IEC 18000 can be established.
ISO/IEC 18000-1:2008 also gives examples of conceptual architectures in which these air interfaces are often to be utilized. It provides parameter definitions for communications protocols within a common framework for internationally useable frequencies for RFID.
It also provides reference information in respect of patents that have been declared to the developers of ISO/IEC 18000 as pertinent and provides reference addresses in respect of regulations under which ISO/IEC 18000 must operate.
Charles Biss, Chair of Joint Technical Committee JTC1, Information technology, subcommittee SC 31 Automatic identification and data capture technique, which developed the series of standards observes: “Logistics, supply and distribution systems are an indispensable part of modern society. The market interest in unique permanent identification of supply chain items has dramatically increased and additional standards are under development by SC 31 to accommodate market sectors and supply chain items."
ISO/IEC 18000-1:2008, Information technology – Radio frequency identification for item management – Reference architecture and definition of parameters to be standardized, was developed by the joint technical committee ISO/IEC JTC 1, Information technology, subcommittee SC 31, Automatic identification and data capture techniques, working group WG 4, Radio frequency identification for item management.
It is available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details). It may also be obtained directly from ISO Central Secretariat, price 146 Swiss francs through the ISO Store or by contacting the Marketing & Communication department (see right-hand column).
- Automatic identification and data capture techniques
- ISO/IEC 19762-1:2008 [Withdrawn]Information technologyAutomatic identification and data capture (AIDC) techniquesHarmonized vocabularyPart 1: General terms relating to AIDC
- Information technologyRadio frequency identification (RFID) for item managementData protocol: application interface
- ISO/IEC TR 18047-2:2006 [Withdrawn]Information technologyRadio frequency identification device conformance test methodsPart 2: Test methods for air interface communications below 135 kHz
- ISO/IEC 18000-1:2008 [Withdrawn]Information technologyRadio frequency identification for item managementPart 1: Reference architecture and definition of parameters to be standardized
- ISO/IEC 15962:2004 [Withdrawn]Information technologyRadio frequency identification (RFID) for item managementData protocol: data encoding rules and logical memory functions
- ISO/IEC 18046:2006 [Withdrawn]Information technologyAutomatic identification and data capture techniquesRadio frequency identification device performance test methods