The CD ISO/IEC 19770-1 Software Asset Management: Are You ready? will help organizations prepare for and maintain certification to ISO/IEC 19770-1:2006. It provides users with:
- an interactive version of the standard in a user-friendly, highly usable electronic package;
- easy documentation for self-assessment against the required outcomes, plus attachment of supporting documentation;
- faster preparation for certification by making it easier to conduct gap analyses and track progress, and
- an easier certification process by providing a comprehensive statement by the organization of its status against requirements for certification.
This self-assessment tool has been prepared in collaboration with Investors in Software (IiS - www.InvestorsInSoftware.com), a not-for-profit organization dedicated to advancing professionalism in software asset management. The CD will assist users in developing a detailed understanding of the requirements of the standard, and also explain how to use ISO/IEC 19770-1:2006 in conjunction with guidance from software manufacturers, consultants and others to achieve best practice.
ISO/IEC 19770-1:2006, Information technology – Software asset management – Processes, enables organizations to benchmark their capability in delivering managed services, measuring service levels and assessing performance. This standard allows service providers to enhance the quality of service delivery to their customers.
Software asset management (SAM) principles apply to the media, installations, licenses, proof of license, and intellectual property associated with the software. Until now, the application of these business processes has been arbitrary and relatively few organizations have been able to implement a comprehensive strategy.
"The standard will help companies better manage their software assets and their accompanying licenses," explains Roger Wittlock, Convenor of the working group that developed the document. "Companies who understand usage patterns, asset inventory and specific contract terms are potentially saving millions in licence costs and maintenance fees each year."
ISO/IEC 19770-1 Software Asset Management: Are You ready? is available in English only in two versions:
- a version for individual use (ISBN 978-92-67-10447-8) priced at 189 Swiss francs, and
- version for organizational use (ISBN 978-92-67-10448-5) priced at 498 Swiss francs.
The CD is available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details) and ISO Central Secretariat (see below).
- Software and systems engineering