Membership: Member body
The Standards Act provides for the preparation and promotion of standards in relation to goods, services, processes and practices used and produced locally. The Act gives SLBS the responsibility to develop and promote standards for products and services for the protection of the health and safety of consumers and the environment, as well as for industrial development, in order to promote the enhancement of the economy of Saint Lucia.
SLBS also administers the Metrology Act No. 17 of 2000. This legislation gives the organization the responsibility to regulate all weights and measures activities on the island. This Act also makes provision for the metrication of Saint Lucia.
Consequently, SLBS is responsible for developing, adopting, maintaining, promoting encouraging and enforcing conformity to standards, and providing metrology services. SLBS executes its mandate through a number of programmes in the following areas:
1. Standards Development - National standards development and national position formulation
2. Certification - Product and process certification
3. Compliance - Enforcement of compulsory national standards and international standards where applicable
4. Metrology - Verification and calibration of measuring devices
5. Information Services - Provision of technical information
6. Technical Assistance - Provision of training and other specific conformity related activities and development of sector-based standards.
SLBS serves as the National Enquiry Point for the World Trade Organization's Agreement on Technical Barriers to Trade (TBT) and the contact point for CODEX (the joint commission between the FAO and WHO), which is responsible for developing international food standards.
Saint Lucia Bureau of Standards
Bisee Industrial Estate
Tel: +1 758 453 00 49
Fax: +1 758 452 35 61