The complete current collection of ISO/IEC conformity assessment standards and guides for use by certification and inspection bodies is now available on CD.
They include standards giving the requirements that certification bodies need to meet to qualify as competent to carry out certification of quality management systems (ISO 9001) and environmental management systems (ISO 14001).
The CD, ISO/IEC Pack, Conformity Assessment – Certification and inspection bodies, contains 16 standards (in English editions, and 15 of these in French), including the following recently published documents:
- ISO/IEC 17020:2012, Conformity assessment – Requirements for the operation of various types of bodies performing inspection
- ISO/IEC TS 17021-2:2012, Conformity assessment – Competence requirements for auditing and certification of environmental management systems
- ISO/IEC TS 17022:2012, Conformity assessment – Requirements and recommendations for content of a third-party audit report on management systems
- ISO/IEC 17024:2012, Conformity assessment – General requirements for bodies operating certification of persons
- ISO/IEC 17065:2012, Conformity assessment – Requirements for bodies certifying products, processes and services
Two of the above are completely new documents (as compared to updates): ISO/IEC TS17021-2 and ISO/IEC TS 17022. They provide detailed requirements for auditor competence and for management system audits reports.
All ISO/IEC conformity assessment standards now have a common structure and common requirements for: impartiality, confidentiality, complaints and appeals, use of management systems and disclosure of information. This facilitates implementation of one or several standards by a certification or inspection body.
A PowerPoint presentation on the differences between the previous editions of ISO/IEC 17065 is now available. Similar presentations on ISO/IEC 17024 and ISO/IEC 17020 will be available soon.
Conformity assessment is the process used to demonstrate that products, services, management systems, personnel and organizations meet specified requirements. The use of ISO/IEC standards and guides on conformity assessment procedures allows for harmonization of good practice-based processes throughout the world.
This in turn not only facilitates international trade between countries, but also facilitates trade within countries by giving the purchaser of the product or service confidence that it meets the requirements.
ISO (International Organization for Standardization) and IEC (International Electrotechnical Commission) work together on standards and guides on conformity assessment within ISO/CASCO, the ISO policy development committee on conformity assessment.
ISO/CASCO has developed a "toolbox" of 27 standards and guides which addresses all of the activities involved in conformity assessment. ISO/IEC Pack, Conformity Assessment – Certification and inspection bodies, costs 238 Swiss francs and is available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details) and from ISO Central Secretariat through the ISO Store or by contacting the Marketing, Communication and Information department.
Conformity Assessment – Certification and inspection bodies
- Committee on conformity assessment
- ISO/IEC TS 17022:2012 [Withdrawn]Conformity assessmentRequirements and recommendations for content of a third-party audit report on management systems
- Conformity assessmentGeneral requirements for bodies operating certification of persons
- Conformity assessmentRequirements for bodies certifying products, processes and services
- Conformity assessmentRequirements for the operation of various types of bodies performing inspection
- ISO/IEC TS 17021-2:2012 [Withdrawn]Conformity assessmentRequirements for bodies providing audit and certification of management systemsPart 2: Competence requirements for auditing and certification of environmental management systems