A new ISO standard has been published in a series designed to provide a framework for describing the performance of family housing that can be understood worldwide by buyers and sellers, manufacturers and consumers, national standards writers and regulators.
The new standard is intended to facilitate communication on the structural durability of houses among all stakeholders. It includes principles for describing the structural durability performance of family housing and the factors that need to be taken into account when describing performance, component design life, maintenance schedules and internal and external environmental aspects. Among its expected benefits are to:
- Facilitate the international trade in houses and housing products
- Make information on houses and housing products easier to understand and exchange internationally
- Encourage the international dissemination of innovation
- Provide a systematic framework for evaluation and acceptance of houses
- Provide a harmonized framework of terms for expressing user needs
- Avoid creating technical barriers to the international trade in houses and housing products
Dr. George Walker, Chair of the ISO subcommittee that developed the standard, comments: "Applying ISO 15928-3 can also help consumers to understand more about the houses and housing products they are being offered, and will be useful too in developing quality systems for houses."
Overall, the ISO 15938 series provides an internationally harmonized framework that developers of national standards and regulations on family housing can use in their respective countries to express their requirements in standardized performance terms. Additionally, the manufacturers and providers of housing can use the series as a basis for describing the performance of their products
ISO 15928-3:2009, Houses – Description of performance – Part 3: Structural durability was developed by ISO technical committee ISO/TC 59, Building construction, subcommittee SC 15, Performance criteria for single family attached and detached dwellings. It is available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details). It may also be obtained directly from the ISO Central Secretariat, price 80 Swiss francs, through the ISO Store or by contacting the Marketing & Communication department (see right-hand column).
- Buildings and civil engineering works
- ISO 15928-3:2009 [Withdrawn]HousesDescription of performancePart 3: Structural durability
- ISO 2394:1998 [Withdrawn]General principles on reliability for structures
- ISO 15928-1:2003 [Withdrawn]HousesDescription of performancePart 1: Structural safety
- ISO 15928-2:2005 [Withdrawn]HousesDescription of performancePart 2: Structural serviceability