Compared to the first edition published in 2003, ISO/TS 29001:2007 has been expanded to increase its usefulness for organizations that supply services to the sectors.
Like its predecessor, ISO/TS 29001:2007, Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries - Sector-specific quality management systems - Requirements for product and service supply organizations, is the result of cooperation between the American Petroleum Institute (API) and ISO technical committee ISO/TC 67, Materials, equipment and offshore structures for petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries.
In conjunction with API and ISO product specifications, it will be used as one of the baseline documents in the API Monogram programme for the qualification of products and services used in the petroleum industry.
Incorporating the requirements of ISO 9001:2000, ISO/TS 29001:2003 also includes supplemental, sector-specific requirements. For the second edition, these have been edited and expanded, and new definitions added. In all, 23 modifications have been made to the second edition.
ISO/TS 29001:2007 has been developed to meet the needs of the oil and gas industry, specifically the major petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas organizations, as well as government and regulatory agencies, as the basis for qualification of the quality management systems of equipment manufacturers and service suppliers.
Potential end users include the following:
- organizations involved in exploration, production, pipelines and transportation, and refining of petroleum and natural gas products
- organizations involved in the design, manufacture, installation, service and repair of equipment used in the exploration, production, transportation and refining of petroleum and natural gas products
- organizations that provide technical, operational and support services to the various industry sectors identified above.
Ed Durante, leader of the group that developed ISO/TS 29001:2007, summed up its importance as follows:"ISO/TS 29001:2007 is the next step in the evolution of this important sector-specific document. Over the past two years, numerous suggestions were received from various sectors of the petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas sectors.
"These suggestions were evaluated by a dedicated group of experts representing all stakeholders, including end users, manufacturers and service providers. The result of this effort has resulted in a document that addresses the unique needs of the industry and is poised to gain international acceptance as the quality management system for the industry."
ISO/TS 29001:2007, Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries - Sector-specific quality management systems - Requirements for product and service supply organizations, costs 114 Swiss francs and is available from ISO national member institutes (see the complete list with contact details) and from ISO Central Secretariat through the ISO Store or by contacting the Marketing & Communication department (see right-hand column).
- Materials, equipment and offshore structures for petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industries
- ISO/TS 29001:2007 [Withdrawn]Petroleum, petrochemical and natural gas industriesSector-specific quality management systemsRequirements for product and service supply organizations