Welcome to the official ISO website for the subcommittee (SC) with responsibility for Environmental management systems (EMS). The most well-known of our standards is ISO 14001.
This site helps you to identify:
- Our vision and mission
- What standards we are responsible for and developments in ISO EMS work
- How we work and records of what we do – such as minutes from plenaries etc.
- Information on the ISO environmental management family of standards
Our current activities
Relevance of ISO 14001 to Business Strategy and General Management
Micro business – FAQs on ISO 14001 (due for publication 2014)
What do we do?
The subcommittee (SC) is made up of representatives from 63 National Standards Bodies (also referred to as National Member Bodies) and relevant liaison organizations. The governance and working methods of the SC are laid down in ISO Directives. We meet annually in plenary to discuss matters and the work of the SC. Work is conventionally carried out by:
- working groups (WG) where experts nominated by their National Member Bodies develop standards. The experts are working by consensus. Working groups are disbanded when their work has been completed
- ad hoc groups (AHG) where a small group of experts nominated by National Member Bodies deal with a specific task. A recent example would be the as the work on looking at the link between management systems and the requirements for monitoring, reporting and verification under United Nations Convention of Climate Change
Learn more about the standards development process.
- We are recognized as the world leader in the development of environmental management system standards that support sustainability. Our standards are recognized nationally and internationally by users and other stakeholders as the EMS standards of choice.
- Our mission is to develop and maintain standards in the field of environmental management systems (EMS) that meet stakeholder needs, are market based and support sustainability.
- ISO 14001 Environmental management systems – Requirements with guidance for use
- ISO 14004 Environmental management systems – General guidelines on principles, systems and support techniques
- ISO 14005 Environmental management systems – Guidelines for the phased implementation of an environmental management system, including the use of environmental performance evaluation
- ISO 14006 Environmental management systems – Guidelines for incorporating ecodesign
Records of our work
- Our Vision and Mission statement
- Plenary reports
- "Future Challenges for EMS" Study Group Report from 2010
- Reports from Ad Hoc Groups where they are public domain
- Briefing Notes
Also check out ISO Focus+ for useful articles and information
How do environmental management standards fit together? – the ISO 14000 family
The SC work is part of wider work that is the responsibility of the Technical Committee (TC) environmental management. Find out what the other SC under the TC are involved in and how it all fits together in ISO 14000 family.
ISO 14001 and ISO 14004 focus on environmental management systems. The other standards in the family focus on specific areas such as life cycle analysis, labeling, greenhouse gases, communication and auditing.
How many organizations use Environmental Management Systems?
ISO conducts an annual survey on how many accredited organizations are certified to ISO 14001 – almost 270,000 in 2011. This provides the top of the iceberg view of how many organizations choose to use ISO 14001 to guide them in manage environmental challenges.
How to get involved?
If you want to get involved in the work of the committee, you should contact your ISO member (this may also be referred to as National Member Body or National Mirror Committee).
|EMS public information page|
|SC 1 work programme||Public information folder|
|Other ISO resources||Videos|
|Environmental management - The ISO 14000 family of International Standards (free download)||After the International Standard - now comes the ISO 14001 video clip!|