The National Institute of Standardization and Metrology of the Republic of Moldova (with the acronym INSM) has the status of National Body for standardization.
The main activities of INSM are the following:
- determination of the principles and methodology of national standardization in conformity with the statute of the law on standardization nr. 590-XIII from 22.09.1995 and with the rules of international and European standardization;
- collaboration with interested parties in national standardization;
- registration and coordination of the activity of standardization technical committees;
- elaboration of a national standardization programme on the basis of requests from interested parties, with the inclusion of those requests referring to life quality improvement, protection of life, human health and security, environmental protection as well as consumer protection;
- adoption, state record of national standards and draft standards, and updating, confirmation, modification, withdrawal or cancellation of national standards and draft standards during the review;
- issue and dissemination of the Standardization Bulletin official publication and other publications in the field of national standardization;
- organization of the activity of harmonization of national standards with international standards and European ones;
- forming and management of the National Fund of normative documents in standardization;
- foundation and management of the State Register of national standardization system;
- realization of international collaboration in the field of standardization through the representation of the Republic of Moldova in international and regional organizations;
- professional training in the field of standardization through the organization of speciality courses or other forms of vocational training, through the coordination of specialized didactic programmes in public and private education.