ISO/IEC 23006-1:2013 specifies the MPEG-M architecture that is made accessible through the set of MPEG-M middleware APIs, elementary services and service aggregation specified in ISO/IEC 23006-2, ISO/IEC 23006-4 and ISO/IEC 23006-5 and as a software implementation in ISO/IEC 23006-3, respectively.
The elements of the MPEG-M Architecture are:
1. MPEG-M Engines: collections of specific technologies that are meaningfully bundled together to provide a specific functionality requested by applications;
2. MPEG-M Engine APIs: APIs that can be used by applications to access an MPEG-M Engine functionality;
3. MPEG-M Orchestrator Engine: a special MPEG-M Engine capable of creating chains of MPEG-M Engines to execute a high-level application call such as "Play" that typically requires the activation of multiple engine functionalities;
4. MPEG-M Orchestrator Engine APIs: APIs that can be used to access the MPEG-M Orchestrator Engine;
5. MPEG-M Device: a device equipped with MPEG-M Engines;
6. MPEG-M Application: an application that runs on an MPEG-M Device and makes calls to the MPEG-M Engine and MPEG-M Orchestrator Engine APIs.