ISO/TS 10891:2009 establishes:
- a set of requirements for container tags, which allow the transfer of information from a container to automatic processing systems by electronic means;
- a data coding system for container identification and permanent related information which resides within a container tag;
- a data coding system for the electronic transfer of both container identification and permanent related information from container tags to automatic data processing systems;
- the description of data to be included in container tags for transmission to automatic data processing systems;
- performance criteria necessary to ensure consistent and reliable operation of container tags within the international transportation community;
- the physical location of container tags on containers;
- features to inhibit malicious or unintentional alteration and/or deletion of the information content of container tags when installed on a freight container.
It is intended to be applicable to freight containers as defined in ISO 668 as well as to other containers not defined in ISO 668 and container ancillary equipment such as road and terminal chassis, generator sets and power packs .
The use of container tags and the equipping of containers for automatic identification are optional. The purpose of ISO/TS 10891:2009 is to optimise the efficiency of equipment control systems and to assist in container security initiatives and programs, including the optional usage of electronic seals in accordance with ISO 18185, and any subsequent International Standard. For this reason, any container tag system used for identifying containers shall be non-proprietary and conform to and be compatible with ISO/TS 10891:2009.
Edition: 1 (Monolingual) ICS: 55.180.10 Status: Published Stage: 60.60 (2009-01-30) TC/SC: ISO/TC 104/SC 4 Number of Pages: 16
No revision information available