*Please note that these resources can still be used by ISO Committees, however they are no longer kept up to date.
Templates for word processors
Their purpose is to simplify the drafting of International Standards and similar publications by providing document "skeletons" that incorporate a range of predefined stylistic and structural rules as well as ensuring that the electronic files of the document can be processed easily by the ISO Central Secretariat and other members of the ISO infrastructure. In addition, the electronic files may be converted to a different word-processing format with a certain guarantee of success. These aids to authoring are designed to save time and effort in the preparation and processing of standards by providing on-the-spot help concerning the drafting rules specified in the ISO/IEC Directives.
The ISO templates are available in two forms:
1. Automated template (also called "wizard"), in two versions, for use with:
Microsoft Word 97, 2000, 2002 (XP), 2003, 2007 and 2010
The STD template version 2.1, is in conformity with the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2, 2004. It replaces STD 2.0 which was in conformity with the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 3, 1997.
- Download the STD 2.1 package (STD version 2.1)
- Download the STD 2.1 reference manual
- Instructions for use of STD 2.1 in Word 2007 and Word 2010
- Frequently Asked Questions relating to the use of STD
- The STD template has been adopted by certain standards bodies for the preparation of their national and regional standards. European users are advised to consult their member body or the CEN Management Centre for details of how their national or regional standardization systems respectively can be accessed.
- The STD template is not intended for the preparation of documentation for quality management systems.
Microsoft Word 6 and Microsoft Word 95
The ISO templates for Word 6 and the Office 95 Word version are available in two forms known as the ISOSTD template, version 3.0, (ISOSTD30) and the ISO model documents (BASICEN and BASICFR).
- Download the ISOSTD30 package (ISOSTD version 3.0)
- Frequently Asked Questions relating to the use of ISOSTD30
- This package is in conformity with the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 3, 1997, superseded by the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2, 2001. The ISOSTD template will not be updated to reflect the changes. Users of this template can however download updated boilerplate texts for use in their documents.
- The ISO model documents (BASICEN 2 and BASICFR 2) which are part of the ISOSTD30 package have been replaced by the updated basic templates BASICEN3 and BASICFR3.
2. Basic templates (with no automated features) that may be used in all popular word-processing systems
The basic templates (files BASICEN3 and BASICFR3) are provided as both Word templates (files with the extension .DOT) and documents (files with the extension .RTF). If your word processor cannot open Word templates (.DOT), open the documents (.RTF) and save them as templates.
These basic templates, version 3, are in conformity with the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 2, 2004. They replace the previous versions (BASICEN2 and BASICFR2) which were in conformity with the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 3, 1997.