Secretary: Mme Sophie Clivio
Chairperson: Mrs Elisabeth Stampfl-Blaha until end 2016
Creation date: 2013
ABNT Brazil (2017)
AFNOR France (2017)
ANSI USA (2018)
BSI United Kingdom (2018)
DIN Germany (2018)
DSM Malaysia (2017)
GOST R Russian Federation (2018)
JISC Japan (2016)
KATS Republic of Korea (2018)
SA Australia (2016)
SABS South Africa (2017)
SAC China (2017)
SIS Sweden (2017)
SFS Finland (2017)
SNV Switzerland (2016)
[NOTE - The figures in brackets show the year at the end of which the term of office expires.]
Terms of reference of theTechnical Management Board
1. Authoritative sources:
The following are the relevant authoritative sources for the Technical Management Board (TMB):
- The ISO Statutes (Articles 9, 10 and 22.4)
- The Rules of Procedure of Council (Clauses 3, 4 and 5)
- These Rules of Procedure of the TMB (ROP 1 to 4)
- The ISO/IEC Directives and the Consolidated ISO Supplement
- The TMB Working Procedures (WP 1 to 6)
2. Tasks of the TMB:
The tasks of the TMB are contained in the following Articles of the ISO Statutes. These are followed by details on the practical actions taken by the TMB to implement these Articles of the Statutes:
9.3 The Technical Management Board, within the framework of policies established by the Organization, shall have responsibility for the general management of the technical committee structure. It shall approve the establishment and dissolution of technical committees, and revisions of the Directives for the work of the technical committees. It shall deal with all matters of strategic planning, coordination, performance, and monitoring of technical committee activities. To further carry out these responsibilities the Technical Management Board shall develop and maintain its own Rules of Procedure.
- examines proposals for new fields of technical activity, and decides on all matters concerning the establishment and dissolution of technical committees;
- assesses existing ISO and other work in relevant areas, conducts gap analyses on needed work, and determines how to introduce and/or integrate needed work into the ISO work program;
- monitors the work of technical committees and project committees and project management requirements;
- allocates or re-allocates secretariats of technical committees and project committees and, in case of there being more than one candidate, allocates or re-allocates secretariats of subcommittees;
- appoints chairpersons of technical committees;
- appoints registration authorities and maintenance agencies for the implementation of International Standards;
- oversees the development of Guides and other ISO deliverables;
- approves Strategic Business Plans;
- resolves technical coordination issues between ISO technical committees and project committees such as joint groups with the IEC, other international organizations, and regional organizations;
- advises the Secretary-General on technical interface questions between ISO and IEC, and with respect to technical collaboration with other international standardizing bodies; and
- on behalf of ISO, keeps the ISO/IEC Directives for the technical work under review, examines and coordinates all proposals for amendments and approves appropriate revisions.
9.4 The Technical Management Board may establish ad hoc technical and strategic advisory groups as deemed necessary to accomplish its responsibilities.
- See TMB Rule of Procedure 2.
9.5 The Technical Management Board shall report to the Council at such intervals as the Council may determine.
- The TMB reports to and, when relevant, advises Council on all matters concerning the organization, coordination, strategic planning, and programming of the technical work of ISO.
10.2 Technical committees shall be established by the Technical Management Board and shall work under its authority.
- The TMB deals with appeals in accordance with the ISO/IEC Directives, Part 1.
10.4 The scope and programme of work for each technical committee shall be approved by the Technical Management Board. Disapprovals shall be justified in writing.
- The TMB approves titles, scopes and programmes of work of individual technical committees and project committees; and
- The TMB examines proposals for new work items not falling within the scopes of existing ISO technical committees and decides on the establishment of project committees.
No data available
Subcommittee/Working Group Title ISO/TMB/DMT Directives Maintenance Team
The convener can be reached through the secretariat
ISO/TMB/JCG ISO/CEN Joint Coordination Group of the Technical (Management) Boards - STANDBY ISO/TMB/JTAB ISO/IEC Joint Technical Advisory Board - STANDBY
Liaison Committee to ISO/TMB
The below committees may see the documents of ISO/TMB :
Liaison Committee from ISO/TMB
ISO/TMB can access the documents of the below committees :
* Information definite but meeting not yet formally convened
Month Date Location TC/SC June 2016 15-16 Geneva (Switzerland) TMB September 2016 10 Beijing (China) TMB February 2017 22-23 Kuala Lumpur (Malaysia) ** TMB June 2017 14-15 Geneva (Switzerland) ** TMB September 2017 19 Berlin (Germany) ** TMB