International Standards bring technological, economic and societal benefits. They help to harmonize technical specifications of products and services making industry more efficient and breaking down barriers to international trade. Conformity to International Standards helps reassure consumers that products are safe, efficient and good for the environment.
Facts and figures about the benefits of standards
For more information about the benefits of standards consult our collection of studies on economic and social benefits
International Standards are strategic tools and guidelines to help companies tackle some of the most demanding challenges of modern business. They ensure that business operations are as efficient as possible, increase productivity and help companies access new markets.
- Cost savings - International Standards help optimise operations and therefore improve the bottom line
- Enhanced customer satisfaction - International Standards help improve quality, enhance customer satisfaction and increase sales
- Access to new markets - International Standards help prevent trade barriers and open up global markets
- Increased market share - International Standards help increase productivity and competitive advantage
- Environmental benefits - International Standards help reduce negative impacts on the environment
Businesses also benefit from taking part in the standard development process. Read more about the benefits of getting involved in standards development.