Google has a long-standing commitment to the environment and energy efficiency. It used ISO 50001 as a framework to establish a more structured and formalized energy management system and achieve recognition for its efforts. Bolstered by the programmeʼs success, the company continues to reduce its energy use and emissions through improved efficiency. Here, Laura Franceschini, Program Manager, Data Center Sustainability at Google, examines best practice.
Reducing energy consumption and the dependency on fossil fuels is a major challenge. Governments, organizations and corporations around the world must work together in order to move towards a more sustainable future.
ISO International Standards can help solve the energy challenge by:
- increasing energy efficiency, and
- promoting the development of renewable energy technologies.
Over 200 of our 21000 standards are related to energy efficiency and renewables. These range from the energy management system standard ISO 50001 that can be used by any organization in any sector, to standards specific to certain sectors, such as building or transportation.
- Building – Standards such as ISO 23045 for the energy efficiency assessment of buildings, and ISO 13153 for the design of energy saving family homes, can help reduce energy use in the sector.
- Transport – ISO standards for ships, aircraft and cars can help reduce emissions and fuel consumption.
- Renewables - ISO standards on emerging technologies such as solar power can help organizations share best practice and drive uptake. We are also active in solid biofuels and standards in this field will be published soon.
We also have standards related
to greenhouse gas emissions and climate change.
Learn more about ISO and Climate change.