The operational guide of the Saint Vincent and the Grenadines Bureau of Standards (SVGBS) is envisaged in its mission and vision statements. "to enhance the Quality of Life for all Vincentians by ensuring that all Goods and Services produced and/or used in the Country are of consistently acceptable Standards and Quality"; and "to be recognized by the Vincentian and the International communities as the body responsible for the creation of an Environment of Standards, Quality Assurance and Metrology in St. Vincent and the Grenadines"
The SVGBS' modus operandi is guided by its overall legislative mandates, the policy of government and the administrative direction of the National Standards council. The organisation also operates in accordance with:
- The World Trade Organisation Technical Barrier to Trade Agreement (WTO/TBT)
- The CARICOM Regional Organisation for Standards and Quality (CROSQ) Act, No. 33 of 2004
- The Tourism Authority Act No 39 of 2007
Presently, the SVGBS operates under the aegis of the Ministry of Telecommunications, Science and Technology and Industry. The core values of the SVGBS in the execution of its mandate and corporate quality policy are:
1. Accountability: We will serve the needs of the Vincentian public in a professional, responsible and reliable manner.
2. Integrity: We will transact with each other and with stakeholders on the basis of trust and understanding
3. Professionalism: We will execute our tasks to the best of our abilities.
4. Transparency: We will consult with stakeholders by adopting a participatory role in policy and standards development and implementation.
5. Team-spiritedness: We will value initiative, cooperation, innovation, communication and flexibility in all aspects of operation of the organisation.
6. Social responsibility: SVGBS recognizes its broad social responsibilities, which are defined in terms of the contributions that SQAM can make in ameliorating or solving the critical problems of society.
7. Vision: We will be guided by the principle of foresight by focusing on the challenges that lie ahead in order to charter a path successfully forward.