ABENOR operates under the Ministry of Industry.
The mandate of ABENOR is to:
- Develop a framework to engage all standardization partners
- Develop and implement a national standardization and certification policy
- Coordinate national standards development work
- Ensure the promotion, adoption and voluntary use of standards
- Implement the National Certification Scheme for Products and Services, and operate the national conformity marking system
- Ensure reliability of the National Standardization and Quality Management System
- Ensure representation of Benin on regional and international standards, certification and accreditation bodies
- Propose to the Government of Benin standards that should be mandatory
- Develop certification activities to ensure compliance with standards
- Coordinate facilitation of standardization and capacity building in Benin
- Promote the quality and reliability of products, goods and services, including for environmental protection
- Provide technical secretariat services for standardization within the West African Economic and Monetary Union (WAEMU) area.