The Syrian Arab Organization for Standardization and Metrology (SASMO) is a subsidiary body of the Ministry of Industry and was created on 13 October 1969 by Law 240, and new law No 37 year 2005 which consider SASMO as scientific organization.
It is an independent organization, with the aim of performing standardization, legal metrology and certification duties. The organization is the only body authorized to issue standards and grant marks of conformity to standards and/or specifications.
The main duties of SASMO are the following:
- It adopts or develops and publishes standards;
- It monitors the adoption of SASMO standards;
- It issues licenses to use its work;
- It collects tests results;
- It carries out legal metrology functions;
- It is responsible for training;
- It is in charge of the work relating to the international relations in the field of standardization and metrology.