is the National Standards Body of Sri Lanka, established under the Bureau of Ceylon Standards Act No.38 of 1964. This Act was repealed and replaced by the Sri Lanka Standards Institution Act No. 6 of 1984. The Institution now functions under the Ministry of Science and Technology and is governed by the Minister in terms of the above Act.
In keeping with the present industrial development and economic growth of the country, the corporate mission of SLSI is as follows: to undertake, promote and facilitate Standardization, Measurement, Quality Assurance and related activities in all sectors of the national economy in order to:
- increase productivity and maximize the utilization of resources;
- facilitate internal and external trade;
- achieve socio-economic development;
- enhance international competitiveness of products and services;
- safeguard the interest of consumers, whilst improving the quality of working life for employees of the Institution.