Nepal Bureau of Standards & Metrology (NBSM) is the National Standard Body in Nepal. It is a Government organization under the Ministry of Industry. It is also the national enquiry point / nodal point for WTO (TBTs & NTMs) and focal point for National Authority on Disarmement Affairs (NADA).
- To provide efficient and timely service.
- To satisfy the customer's need for quality goods and services.
- To raise awareness in the field of standardization & metrology.
- Harmonious development of standardization, marking and quality certification.
- Harmonious development of scientific and legal metrology.
- To facilitate development of production and exports.
The main activities of NBSM are to:
- formulate national standards;
- operate the product certification mark;
- provide testing facilities and technical services in the fields of SMQC;
- work as the third party guaranteeing agency;
- provide service for lot certification and pre-shipment inspection, as well as laboratory recognition and
- launching of consumer awareness programmes on quality.
- Provide laboratory services for testing of various commodities.
- Involve in environment protection.
Additional activities include legal metrology and calibration services for weighing and measuring devices. Initiation on industrial and scientific metrology is in progress.