On 19 October 2005, the Georgian National Agency for Standards, Technical Regulation and Metrology was established as a legal entity under public law. In May 2012, Georgia adopted a new law, the "Code of Product Safety and Free Movement of Goods". According to this law , the name "Georgian National Agency for Standards, Technical Regulations and Metrology (GEOSTM)" was changed to "Georgian National Agency for Standards and Metrology (GEOSTM)". The acronym "GEOSTM" remains unchanged.
The main activities of GEOSTM are:
- to organize the activity of national standardization and metrology through the elaboration of legislative and normative documents in these fields;
- to elaborate fundamental standards in the mentioned fields;
- to elaborate mandatory methodological regulations in the fields of standardization and metrology;
- to elaborate the respective normative technical regulations,
- to represent Georgia in international and regional organizations of standardization and metrology.