The Department of Standards Malaysia (DSM) is mandated by the Government of Malaysia to function as the National Standards Body (NSB) as well as the National Accreditation Body (NAB) through the Standards of Malaysia Act 1996 (Act 549). DSM's vision is 'To lead the Nation to be an effective global player in Standards & Accreditation in consonance with Malaysia's Vision 2020'.
To fulfill this vision, DSM has a mission 'To provide Credible Standardization and Accreditation of Conformity Assessment services in order to facilitate Malaysian products and services to be competitive globally; to support Government policy makers and regulators; and to advance quality of life of Malaysians'.
DSM promulgates and promotes standardization and accreditation as a means of:
· advancing the national economy;
· benefiting the health, safety and welfare of the public;
· protecting the consumers;
· promoting industrial efficiency and development;
· facilitating domestic and international trade; and furthering international cooperation.