The CASCO Toolbox
CASCO has produced a number of standards related to conformity assessment practices. These are referred to as the CASCO Toolbox and cover topics such as the operating of testing laboratories, marks of conformity, accreditation and the mutual recognition of conformity assessment results.
Learn more by consulting the full list of CASCO Standards
Presentations on CASCO standards
For some of the recently published CASCO standards, the experts of the Working Groups who developed them have done a Powerpoint presentation to highlight the main elements of the document and show the differences with the former version. The slides can be used by anyone doing a presentation or simply to learn about the new standard.
- ISO/TS 22003, Food safety management systems — Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification of food safety management systems
17067, Conformity assessment — Fundamentals of product certification and guidelines
for product certification schemes
17020, Conformity assessment - Requirements for the operation of various types
of bodies performing
assessment - Requirements for bodies certifying products, processes and services
17024, Conformity assessment - General requirements for bodies operating certification
17021-1, Conformity assessment - Requirements for bodies providing audit and certification
of management systems - Part 1: Requirements
Cross reference table 2011-2015 versions with comments on changes
CASCO Clarification Process
People working in conformity assessment sometimes have questions about how to interpret ISO/IEC standards on this topic. In order to ensure consistency in the implementation of its standards, CASCO has set up a clarification process (replacing the former interpretation process). The clarification is done by the maintenance group responsible for the specific ISO/IEC conformity assessment standards (17000 series) and the clarification decision represents a consensus position on the intent of the working group. Clarifications cannot be considered as new requirements. These are considered for inclusion in the relevant standards only when they are revised. Until they are included in a standard they have no binding effect and are implemented at the discretion of interested parties
Clarifications are published here.
Note: prior October 2013 all requests were processed as interpretations (see interpretations below)
- Clarification request on ISO TS 22003, Annex C, table C.1 (March 2015)
- Clarification requests on ISO/IEC 17020 (February 2015)
- Clarification request on ISO/IEC 17065 clause 7.11.3 (February 2015)
- Clarification request on ISO/IEC 17065 clause 4.2.6, clause 3.2a and clause 4.2.6d (5 requests)
- Clarification request on ISO/IEC 17020 clause 6.3.1 (February 2014)
- Clarification on ISO/IEC 17024:2012, sub-clause 9.1.2 (January 2014)
- Clarification on ISO/IEC 17043:2010 Clause 4.8.2(i) (January 2014)
- Interpretation on ISO/IEC 17021 clause 7.1.3 (July 2013)
- Results of the ballot on interpretation of ISO/IEC 17021:2011 clause 8.2.3 b) and c) and clause 10.3.6 (July 2013).
- Interpretation on clauses 8.3.1, 8.3.2 d and 8.3.2 e of ISO/IEC 17011:2004 (February 2010)
How to make a Clarification request
All the details on how to submit a clarification request can be found in the document Casco Clarification Process. Once you have read the process and that you fulfil the criteria for requesting a clarification please use this form.
Please note: Interpretation/Clarification requests for standards developed by other Committees in ISO should be referred directly to the secretary of the committee in question.
CASCO annually holds workshops in conjunction with its plenary meetings. These workshops are designed to allow a fruitful exchange of experience and practice in the fields covered. Topics covered can be seen below. More information, including past presentations, can be found by clicking on the links.
- 2011 Switzerland - Open day on conformity assessment
- 2010 France - Risk based approaches to designing conformity assessment strategies
- 2009 Switzerland - The role of International Standards in managing the global supply chain and traceability
- 2008 Switzerland - Conformity assessment standards in support of market surveillance
For more information on these workshops and how to get involved please contact email@example.com.
CASCO has issued a number of important joint communiqués with regard to the transition to revised CASCO documents or to specifically address an important issue that requires clarification. These are given below and can be accessed directly.
September - Joint IAF-ILAC-ISO Communiqué
Management Systems Requirements of ISO/IEC 17020:2012
- Joint IAF-ISO Communiqué
Transition to ISO/IEC 17021:2011 (PDF, 30 kB)
- Joint IAF-ILAC-ISO Communiqués
ISO, ILAC and IAF streamline quality management requirements for medical laboratories
- Joint IAF-ILAC-ISO Communiqué
Management Systems Requirements of ISO/IEC 17025:2005, General Requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories (PDF, 79 kB)