In 2012 we concentrated on reducing our environmental impact as part of our efforts to be more sustainable.
Our overall target is to cut the carbon footprint of the Central Secretariat by 4 % between 2009 and 2014 from an already low level. In 2011 we received ISO 14001 certification and continued to reap the benefits of our environmental management system during 2012.
The Central Secretariat’s main commitments are to:
- Assess and respect the applicable environmental laws
- Monitor and continually shrink its environmental footprint
We have taken many steps to achieve this, including:
- The development of efficient IT tools to reduce the circulation of paper documents and facilitate meetings,
- The optimization of energy consumption, essentially on ISO premises, and
- Web conferencing to reduce travel where possible – see below.
One of the most important tools that helps reduce our environmental footprint is Web conferencing. The service is free to all ISO stakeholders engaged in ISO-related work and results in increased meeting flexibility, greater participation in standards development, less travel, and therefore a reduced carbon footprint.
On average, the ISO community held 250 electronic meetings each month in 2012 – twice as many as in 2011 and a fivefold increase from 2010!
For more information, contact email@example.com