Data elements and interchange formats -- Information interchange -- Representation of dates and times
(Not available in French)
ISO 8601:2004 is applicable whenever representation of dates in the Gregorian calendar, times in the 24-hour timekeeping system, time intervals and recurring time intervals or of the formats of these representations are included in information interchange. It includes
- calendar dates expressed in terms of calendar year, calendar month and calendar day of the month;
- ordinal dates expressed in terms of calendar year and calendar day of the year;
- week dates expressed in terms of calendar year, calendar week number and calendar day of the week;
- local time based upon the 24-hour timekeeping system;
- Coordinated Universal Time of day;
- local time and the difference from Coordinated Universal Time;
- combination of date and time of day;
- time intervals;
- recurring time intervals.
ISO 8601:2004 does not cover dates and times where words are used in the representation and dates and times where characters are not used in the representation.
ISO 8601:2004 does not assign any particular meaning or interpretation to any data element that uses representations in accordance with ISO 8601:2004. Such meaning will be determined by the context of the application.
Document published on: 2004-12 Edition: 3 (Monolingual) ICS: 01.140.30 Status: Published Stage: 90.92 (2016-02-22) TC/SC: ISO/TC 154 Number of Pages: 33
Revised by: ISO/DIS 8601-1
Revised by: ISO/DIS 8601-2
Revises: ISO 8601:2000
No corrigenda or amendments available
- ISO 8601 - Time and date format