The Philippines took a formal approach to standardization in 1947, when the Division of Standards was created under the Bureau of Commerce, Department of Commerce and Industry. In June 1964, after realizing the need for standardization in line with the industrial and economic development of the nation, the Philippines Congress enacted Republic Act 4109, converting the Division of Standards into the Bureau of Standards.
The organization underwent several adjustments over the years to respond to the growing range of services to industry, exporters and consumers, while raising organizational efficiency, effectiveness and productivity. The Bureau of Product Standards (BPS) was conferred its present mandate under various laws, principally Republic Act 4109, Executive Order 133 of 1987 and the Consumer Act of the Philippines, Republic Act 7394 of 1992.
The Bureau of Product Standards operates as a staff Bureau under the Department of Trade and Industry with 95 personnel.